Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Working with truly unique and therefore precious fabrics


My very best friend gave me an amazing gift last December. 

6 Unique Indonesian Batik Fabrics

Her brother was stationed in Indonesia with the Swiss Consulate and the Consulate commissioned local artisans to create a Swiss themed fabric line. I was the lucky     recipient of several of those fabrics.



The red fabrics



The blue and green fabrics

Paper version of the fabric, regular color copy of the fabric

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maquette of the block, made by glueing the printed papers on a drawn-out block
 

No way I would waste any of it to check what it might look like. Instead I did the following:

I used my copy machine. I printed 4 pages, 2 each of the colors and then glued the pieces on the printed block.This allows me also to keep the fabric pieces fairly big, as cutting them too small would not do them justice. Now I will place them on a wall and reflect, weather this is what I want to do. 

The size of the inside cross needs to be adjusted to the accurate size which is square flag and arms that longer than the width and the exact width apart from the edge. 

All that is left to do is choose the best size of the block and piecing sequence of the center, while paying attention to the exact dimension as well as possible. And maybe make more paper maquettes to check other color-ways of the block.



No comments:

Post a Comment